Monday, July 20, 2009

Making Time to Write

Hi all,

I am willing to bet there isn't a writer out there that hasn't come up with excuses to avoid working-myself included. For years, I did not write a single thing. I claimed to have writers block. In the beginning, it probably was. I was under stress at the time, as my family was enduring a medical crisis. Instead of doing something to rectify it after the medical issue came to an end, I made one excuse after another. Still, I called it writers block, but what I was really doing was being lazy. How did I find this out? I started writing fanfiction. I did that on a more regular basis than I did my "real" writing. Finally, family and friends demanded I stop that and get back to business.

I did for a while. Then, I just became lazy again. In fact, I even quit reading this time around. As a result, I was becoming dumber by the second.(okay that is stretching the truth a bit) It wasn't until people put a gun to my head that I did start doing these things.

Now that the weather is warmer, there are a great number of reasons why I "can't" write on any given day. For instance, at least one day a week, I go to a local swimming pool with my Mom. My handwriting is not the greatest in the word, so I can't writ there. So, I have taken to setting an alarm so I can write before I leave the house.

When I go to the pool, I bring a book. If I am not in the water I am reading. Not to say I don't read at other times, but especially then. I tried top read a little bit every day, although sometime I do get genuanly busy, especially on the weekends.

I am going on vacation soon. I am even planning to take a pad and paper with me to write at my grandmothers house. Basically, I am forcing myself to get my butt in gear. This time, I am staying on schedule, even if someone has to super glue me to the chair, chain me to the desk, and stand over me until I do!

No comments: