Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Creative writing

Hi all,

Before I begin writing, I wanted to comment on something. I have been reading various "How to" books concerning the various aspects of the writing field. The one I'm currently plotting through (no pun intended) is "The Idiot's Guide to Creative Writing." I like that series because it approaches serious topics with humor. Nevertheless, I am on chapter four currently. I've been reading it very slowly,as I am underlining various things that could be of use to me at a later date and filling in some blank spots.

In doing this, I have noticed I write better if I force myself to get started as early as humanly possible, and that I can't always work under the same conditions. For instance, sometimes writing to pin drop silence is more disruptive than any tv show, dvd/video, or music could ever be. Without background noise, I take more notice of the so-called white noise, such as my dogs.

There are times, though, I get so into what I'm doing that I hardly see what's going on around me. That is a rarity for me, though. No matter how into my plot I am, the phone is usually a major distraction. Perhaps that is because Mom used to work, which left me at home to deal with that. I know many writers that simply ignore the phone if it rings during a writing session. Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

I have been babbling for quite a while now. I'm not even sure i said anything of substance. Thus, it is time to wrap up this rambling monologue and return to the writing salt minds.

1 comment:

April said...

You need to be more assertive sometimes. With your mom at home more, you don't have to answer the phone. That is something you need to do only when you are alone. And then, you need to tell your parents not to call every 5 minutes. It's simply not fair to you. And if they need to check in once an hour, make it a check in, not a conversation. "Yes, I'm fine, thanks for checking in." That's it.

We all have chores and such to deal with. Just manage your time. Lay down your work hours and get the chores done before or after. If you simply jump when you're called and attend to everyone/thing else they won't see your writing as important either.