Friday, January 30, 2009

A Writer's Dedication

Hello all!

I trust that since it is Friday morning many of you are busily trying to get through your final work day and begin your weekend. I've been up for a while myself, but am just now about to start actual writing.

Before I did so, however, I wanted to make a mention of a conversation I had with a fellow writer yesterday. She pointed out to me that unlike most writers I basically have an infinate amount of free time, but very seldome do I use that time to my benefit. In between things like favorite television shows and pulling my dogs away from the windows, quite often whole days pass with nothing accomplished. In any case, my friend is unhappy with her work habits, also.

She suggested we each set a word goal for the day. I am looking at it as though it is sort of a writer's work out. I am going to get my productivity into shape! I was afraid of overwhelming myself, so we set the "beginners" goal to be 600 words per day Monday-Friday with no excuses. Weekends are optional.

I probably won't write on my weekends, with the exception of something hindering me from working during a normal work day. Moreover, I am determined to start treating this as a real "job". That means no tv during the day. No answering the phone-unless it is my parents, of course. Basically, I won't allow myself to do anything my parents can't do while working. I'll be charting my progress each day, as well. My writing buddy and I are hoping these things will help motivate us in the right employment direction.

I have sat here long enough. It's time for me to do some real writing!

No comments: