Friday, May 29, 2009

Teen Talk

Hi All!

I was just going over some comments a friend of mine made on the first few paragraphs of my novel. I never really thought about this before, but for a YA novel, I sure don't sound very much like a young adult. I've always had a problem with being over descriptive. I'm thinking this has to do with a comment my sixth grade teacher made to me. She always said it was a great idea to use flowery words.

Anyway, I do agree with my friend. Big words are great, but using too many slows down the story. I think it may even be slowing this blog entry down. Oh well!

It is time for me to log off this site now. I am going to make the changes my friends suggested, and then make sure I apply them to the remainder of my book. Happy Writing!

2 comments:

spamwarrior said...

I don't see any big words... O.o

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about using big words in your YA Novel. Some are good. It's the overuse of changing every word that can be overdone. Just pick up some YA novels and check out their language. Notice that they don't describe the color of every object they touch etc. :) You'll do great.